Now, I just said a few posts ago that I was trying to document a few projects quickly, and I’m already flagging. A lot of that comes from my dissatisfaction with my photography, but I’m going to plunge a head regardless. So without further ado, a1940’s era make: Simplicity 8040.
Overall, I’m thrilled with how this dress turned out. I made it of a nice cotton print. It wasn’t with the other quilting cottons in the store, but it’s about that weight, and I think it works well for a day dress. In keeping with the idea of a day dress, I made a few changes to the pattern. I chose not to interface the collar and I shorted the sleeves.
In retrospect, I would make a few more alterations. The dress is a little loose in the waist, and given the desire for a trim waist in the 1940’s, I’d grade the pattern down a size from the bust to the waist. Also, this pattern is infamous for a very pointy seaming detail that’s hard to sew. I ended up actually hand sewing the points, as I couldn’t get them to lay properly with machine sewing. However, due to the small, busy pattern, you can’t even see the detail! So it was a lot of toil for nothing! I’d straighten out the seam line to eliminate the point if making this again in a print. The final issue I had was the neckline. I should have anticipated this, as I saw it noted on several pattern reviews, but the neckline is very low. I ended up adding two buttons, but after I had almost finished the dress, so they’re not really supported properly and cause the neckline to warp a bit. Not enough that the casual observer would notice anything, but I noticed…
Overall, though, I was very happy with how this dress turned out, and wore it to a dance at a local WWII weekend. Thanks to the cotton, this dress was lovely to swing dance in, despite the heat. I will probably make another one next year for the same event, making the changes noted above, and perhaps choosing a dressier fabric!
And now excuse me, as I ride off into the sunset!